Archive for the ‘QuickBooks’ Category

Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC)

Thursday, July 18th, 2013

Authored By: Connie Ward, from the Logan Bookkeeping Department

What is WOTC?
The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) is a Federal tax credit available to employers for hiring individuals from certain target groups who have consistently faced significant barriers to employment.

What does WOTC do?
WOTC helps targeted workers move from economic dependency into self-sufficiency as they earn a steady income and become contributing taxpayers, while participating employers are able to reduce their income tax liability.

How large is the tax credit?
The maximum tax credit ranges from $1,200 to $9,600, depending on the employee hired.

Eligible New Hires
A veteran who is:
• A member of a family that received SNAP benefits (food stamps) for at least a 3-month period during the 15-month period ending on the hiring date.
• Entitled to compensation for a service-connected disability:
o Hired within 1 year of discharge or release from active duty
o Unemployed at least 6 months in the year ending on the hiring date
o Unemployed:
o At least 4 weeks in the year ending on the hiring date
o At least 6 months in the year ending on the hiring date

Please note that to be considered a veteran eligible for WOTC, an individual must meet these two standards:
• Have served on active duty (not including training) in the U.S. Armed Forces for more than 180 days or have been discharged or released from active duty for a service-connected disability
• Not have a period of active duty (not including training) of more than 90 days that ended during the 60-day period ending on the hiring date

Long-term Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Recipient:
A member of a family that meets one of the following circumstances:
• Received TANF benefits for at least 18 consecutive months ending on the hiring date.
• Received TANF benefits for at least 18 consecutive or non-consecutive months after August 5, 1997, and has a hiring date that is not more than 2 years after the end of the earliest 18-month period after August 5, 1997.
• Stopped being eligible for TANF payments during the past 2 years because a Federal or state law limited the maximum time those payments could be made.

Short-term TANF Recipient:
• A member of a family that received TANF benefits for any 9-month period during the 18-month period ending on the hiring date.

SNAP (food stamp) Recipient:
• An 18-39 year old member of a family that received Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits for the 6 months ending of the hiring date or received SNAP benefits for at least 3 of the 5 months ending on the hiring date.

Designated Community Resident:
• An 18-39 year old who lives within one of the federally designated Rural Renewal Counties or Empowerment Zones.

Vocational Rehabilitation Referral:
• An individual with a disability who completed or is completing rehabilitative services from a state-certified agency, an Employment Network under the Ticket to Work program, or the U.S.
Department of Veteran Affairs.

• An individual who has been convicted of a felony and has a hiring date that is not more than 1 year after the conviction or release from prison.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipient:
• A recipient of SSI benefits for any month ending during the past 60-day period ending on the hire date.

Summer Youth Employee
• A 16 or 17 year-old youth who works for the employer between May 1 and September 15 and lives in an Empowerment Zone.

Employers use Form 8850 to pre-screen and to make a written request to a state workforce agency to certify an individual as a member of a targeted group.

Importing Accountant’s Changes

Friday, May 24th, 2013

Authored By: CodyWebb, Cody is an accountant in the Logan office of Cook Martin Poulson, PC. He specializes in new business setup, federal and state payroll taxation, workers compensation, QuickBooks consultation, and individual and business taxation.

How do I import the accountant change file back into my QuickBooks? If you are tired of having your QuickBooks display “Accountant’s Changes Pending” in the title bar and have now received an accountant’s change file (.qby) back from your accountant, you can use this file to automatically import your accountant’s changes into your company file.
It is important to note that only the QuickBooks Administrator can do this task. So if you have multiple users set-up within your QuickBooks, you will have to log-in as the administrator to be able to incorporate the changes.

The steps to importing the Accounting Change File are as follows:

1. Open the company file from which you created the Accountant’s Copy.

2. Choose File > Accountant’s Copy > Import Accountant’s Changes From File.

3. Locate the accountant’s changes file (.qby), from your CD, thumb drive, Desktop or wherever you have the file saved, and click Open.

4. Review your accountant’s changes. You can use the [+] or [-] to expand or collapse each change to see the details.

5. (Recommend) Click Print to print a copy of your accountant’s changes, or click Save As PDF to save a PDF file of your changes. This step is recommended so you have a record of your accountant’s changes.

6. After reviewing the changes, click Incorporate Accountant’s Changes.

7. Click OK to close the QuickBooks windows.

By following these simple steps, it will allow you to automatically incorporate the changes made by your accountant into your QuickBooks. The benefit is that your QuickBooks company file will now be up-to-date and accurate to the records and tax returns prepared by the accountant as well as saving you the time from having to make these adjustments manually.

If you have additional questions regarding QuickBooks or QuickBooks files, please feel free to contact me or the professional you work with.

How to Create a QuickBooks Accountant’s Copy

Thursday, May 16th, 2013

Authored By: CodyWebb, Cody is an accountant in the Logan office of Cook Martin Poulson, PC. He specializes in new business setup, federal and state payroll taxation, workers compensation, QuickBooks consultation, and individual and business taxation.

How do I create an Accountant’s Copy of my QuickBooks? Why should I create an Accountant’s Copy versus a backup or portable copy? These are two common questions that new users of QuickBooks face at periodic times during the year when they need to send a copy of their QuickBooks file for quarterly reports, accounting adjustments, tax projections, or tax return preparation.

An Accountant’s Copy is a version of your company file that we can use to make changes to your data while you continue to work. When we are done adjusting your file, we can send our changes back to you for easy importing into your working company file. All of the adjustments that we have made to your QuickBooks and all of the work that you have continued to do easily incorporate together after we send the changes back to you. These adjustments can only be incorporated automatically back into your QuickBooks if you send us an Accountant’s Copy.

The steps to creating an Accountant’s Copy are as follows:

1. Choose File > Accountant’s Copy > Save File.

2. Confirm you want to create an Accountant’s Copy and click Next.

3. Choose a dividing date.
• You will be able to work with all transactions dated after the dividing date and we will be able to work with transactions prior to that date. For example, for year-end tax preparation purposes you would select December 31 of the prior year as the dividing date. For quarterly reports or periodic accounting adjustments, you would select the last day of the previous month or quarter.

4. Click Next.

5. (Optional) Change the suggested location for the file and the filename that QuickBooks suggests for the Accountant’s Copy. The file must have a .qbx extension. You need to choose the desired location of where you will save the Accountant’s Copy. I have often found that it is easiest to save it to your Desktop and then move it to your Cook Martin Poulson Sharefile account or to a CD, flash drive, email attachment, or link that you receive from us.

6. Click Save.

7. Give the Accountant’s Copy transfer file (.qbx) to your accountant and continue to work.

After saving the Accountant’s copy, QuickBooks displays “Accountant’s Changes Pending” in the title bar and will remain there until you incorporate the changes back from the accountant or you remove the restrictions. Be aware that if you remove the restrictions before the accountant sends back the changes, you will no longer be able to incorporate any adjustments made by the accountant automatically into your QuickBooks.

You should be aware that there are some limitations to the things that we can adjust with an Accountant’s Copy file, and thus it may not be suitable for all companies. For example, we cannot add, edit, void or delete payroll, estimates, sales orders, transfers of funds between accounts, or inventory build assemblies.

Your accountant can tell you if they prefer you to upload an Accountant’s Copy or backup file to us but in most cases the Accountant’s Copy will be the preferred option.

If you have additional questions regarding QuickBooks or QuickBooks files, please feel free to contact the professional you work with.

Reporting Payments on Form 1099

Wednesday, October 10th, 2012

Authored By: Janell Liechty, Bookkeeper in our Logan Office.

We get questions quite often from clients as to whether they need to issue a 1099 to someone and what are the rules for issuing 1099’s so I thought I’d go over that subject a little. Form 1099 is used to report different types of taxable income. There are several types of 1099’s. The letters listed behind the 1099 indicate what type of form it is. The IRS requires taxpayers to issue 1099’s in order to encourage other taxpayers to recognize income and comply with filing requirements.

• Form 1099-B reports the sale of stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other securities.
• Form 1099-C reports debts that were canceled.
• Form 1099-DIV reports dividends, qualified dividends, and capital gains distributions.
• Form 1099-G reports payments from state governments such as unemployment payments and state tax refunds.
• 1099-I reports interest earned
• Form 1099-Misc reports various types of income like payments for rent, royalties, and non-employee compensation.
• Form 1099-MSA reports distributions for a medical savings account.
• Form 1099-OID reports original issue discount income
• Form 1099-PATR reports patronage dividends paid by a cooperative.
• Form 1099-R reports distributions from a retirement plan such as a IRA, 401(k) or pension, life insurance proceeds and annuity payments.
• Form 1099-S reports proceeds from the sale of real estate.
• Form SSA-1099 reports Social Security benefits paid.
• Form RRB-1099 reports railroad retirement benefits.

For most of our clients, Form 1099-Misc, is what you’ll need to consider issuing for payments made to individuals, vendors, subcontractors, and independent contractors if you paid them $600.00 or more during the year in the following circumstances:

• cash payments to fishermen
• crop insurance proceeds
• medical and health care payments
• prizes and awards
• proceeds paid to attorneys
• rents
• services (contract labor) (including parts and materials)
• other types of payments not covered by another information reporting document

If the recipient that you’ve paid is incorporated or a LLC that has made the election to be taxed as a corporation then you do not need to issue them a 1099 but if they are an individual, partnership or LLC treated as a partnership or sole proprietorship, then you do issue one. An easy way to determine if you are required to issue a 1099 to the recipient is to require them to provide you with a form W-9. We find it helpful to require the W-9 before you pay them. One exception is for payments to attorneys. You’ll need to issue a 1099 to them even if they are incorporated. If you’re unsure if you need to issue a 1099, please contact us. You can also go to the Internal Revenue’s website at where it gives more in-depth information on 1099-Misc.

QuickBooks Report

Thursday, July 19th, 2012

Nathan Shields, CPA, Senior Accountant. Nathan has been with the firm 4 years and works in both tax services and financial statement services.

You’ve just spent hours inputting months worth of data into QuickBooks, or you’ve been paying your bookkeeper to input all the data into QuickBooks, but how does that help your business? I’ve had clients who don’t input any of their data into QuickBooks until it’s time to bring it in to prepare the tax returns. It’s important to get your information into QuickBooks, but by doing it timely and knowing how to use the information it will help your business be more profitable. There are some great tools in QuickBooks to help you easily get your information into QuickBooks which in turn will help you get useful information out of QuickBooks.

One easy way to enter your information is to import bank transactions and credit card data into QuickBooks from the internet. You can follow the prompts to setup your accounts. Go to Banking > Online Banking > Setup Accounts. Once they are setup, you can download transactions as often as you want. You can link downloaded transactions to transactions you have already entered into QuickBooks, or you can enter new transactions straight from the downloaded list of transactions. QuickBooks supports this service for last 3 versions of QuickBooks. Currently 2012, 2011 and 2010 QuickBooks are supported. This tool can help get the information input in a timely matter.

QuickBooks has already set up many useful financial reports. There is a list of predetermined reports for you to choose from. They are listed under the Reports menu at the top of the screen. To get a profit and loss statement go to Report > Company and Financial > Profit and Loss Standard. In the top left click on Modify Report. From there you can choose the date range, cash or accrual, and many other options. One report I like is to choose the time period you want, and then display the columns by week, month or quarter. For example, you can run a report for the fiscal year to date, and then do columns by month. On the report you will see each month’s profit and loss. This will allow you to easily analyze any variances from month to month. From the modify reports box, you can choose to see each row as a percentage of the row, column, income or expense.

To print a Balance Sheet you can also go to Reports > Company and Financial > Balance Sheet Standard. I like to use the modify report box to choose the date range. One option is to choose the previous period or previous year, and check the box for the $ change or the % change. This will allow you to compare and find any variances from one period to the next.

This is only two of the many reports that can be run in QuickBooks. By looking at and reviewing these reports on a regular basis, you will learn to see trends and be able to better run your business. If you have any question on how to setup or use QuickBooks we would be happy to assist you with your questions. Please give us a call at any of our office locations.


quoteCook Martin saved us over a hundred thousand dollars in taxes.quote

Paul Merrill
Fat Boy Ice Cream

Utah Accountant and CPA

Your Financial Well-Being? You Can Hold Us Accountable!

For over 30 years, the Salt Lake City accounting firm of Cook Martin Poulson, PC, has been saving money for people like you. Our team of absolutely awesome accountants has the skills, experience and expertise to make a real difference in the financial lives of each and every one of our clients.

We all know that paying taxes is important, but it’s equally important to only pay what you legally have to. We believe in helping you keep the money you’ve worked so hard for, and pride ourselves on our reputation for caring, friendly and professional financial and business expertise and advice.

Cook Martin Poulson, PC, is one of the top Salt Lake City accounting firms – and for good reason. We are passionate about staying true to our core values of developing and growing lasting relationships, keeping commitments and being proactive in our thinking, planning and implementation.

A Full Service Business Development Company

We offer a full range of accounting services including bookkeeping, tax, Utah CFO services and more, so if you’re looking for a Salt Lake City CPA, come and talk to us. We have a wonderful team of Certified Public Accountants, staff accountants, paraprofessionals and interns. We also have our own tax attorney, so you know that whatever your financial requirements, we have the people and the passion to more than meet your needs.

We are proud to offer the people of Salt Lake City UT the following services:

  • Bookkeeping and Payroll services

  • Financial Statements Audits and reviews

  • Business Consulting

  • ObamaCare Tax consulting

  • Business Valuations

  • Proactive income tax services

  • CFO Outsourced solutions

  • Retirement plan design and administration

  • Cost segregation

  • R&D Tax credit services

  • Estate and Succession Planning

Review Our Business at